Disassembly - 6/4/2000
Before fabric stripping
- Drain grommets every bay, outer side of rib
- Rib stitch spacing as on elevator.
- Hardware - AN970 washers on lower side of through-bolts supporting flying
wires. Steel fittings used for the flying wires.
- Phenolic wear block for trim jackscrew guide. Oriented lower side
forward attach point, open end facing rearward. Nylock nuts used on
screws holding the block.
After fabric removal
- Trailing edge contained balsa wood strips to close hstab to elevator
gap. Strips contoured to match tube and provide cutouts for inserting
elevator hinge bolts.
- Strips secured to hstab using 1" fabric tapes wrapped around tubing
and wood. The tape removed appears to be very old cotton. Also
scotch tape was present, probably from the last cover job. The scotch
tape did not hold up.
- Removed wooden strips labeled by location - extensive rot present and some
formers partially disintegrated.
- Some surface rust present on hstab tubes where wood strips covered the
tubing. Needs blasting to remove and assess damage.